My lovely followers

Monday 18 January 2016

Inspiration post on colouring with Spectrum noir pens and pencils

Hi all

I'm here to share my inspiration post that I've created for the Digital Delights blog today and I'm showcasing a cute male image called

Tooltime Donald

 - great for all sorts of male occasions
check him out in the DD store HERE



Here is my finished card - but if you follow on below you'll see how the use of different medium can change the appearance of an image/project 

Most of my cards are fairly simple in style, preferring to concentrate on the image - though I have been known to go mad with embellies occasionally - it's not my normal style

I coloured this image with Spectrum Noir pens and pencils.  Starting off by laying down basic colours
as follows

skin - FS1,3,4,7
shirt - BT1,2,3
Boots and tool handles - TN5
Tools BG1,2
Dungarees, hat,glasses - TN1,2,4


I then added spectrum noir pencil in just one shade (116) ready to blend with blending fluid and blending stumps - you can see the lines around the edges here ready to blend towards the centre of the image


I then blended the pencil and added and blended in other pencil colours to the image to add more shade and depth, I also used pencil strokes to give him a salt'n'pepper hair colour!

pencil colours 120(black) for overall shading, 
shirt - 52, 62, 120
cheeks - 26
dungarees,hat and tools 94,109,115,116
boots - 120


This more or less finishes the colouring of the image and gives a fairly clean look, however I wanted a more distressed look so added further shading from the outside edges of the card with Tim Holtz distress in in the shade distressed corduroy using an ink duster brush for a light coverage, this has the effect of toning down the whole image taking away the stark whiteness and also highlighting the stitched effect die.  I also created shade around the image with pencils 116 and 62.  This is not the usual appearance created with cuter images such as Digital Delights, but I wanted to show that cute does not mean you can't create a vintage type/distressed look as well 


and so back full circle to the beginning!
 I mounted the image onto Crafter's Companion Kraft card and black card and used a couple of papers from MME for background.  'DAD' was cut twice and offset to create a highlight with the alphabet die from the spellbinders sapphire die cutting machine - just love my new baby - so useful and very portable for crafting away from my craft room - infact lots of dies that you use when creating embellies on a project will fit - I'm so glad I got it.


I enjoyed creating this project 
- I hope you like my take on it and that I have given you a different 'take' on cute!!

hugs
Judith

Challenges I'm entering with this card

Cutie pie challenge - Kraft and cute 1/2


17 comments:

brenda said...

Really super colouring Judith, I think the simpler layout allows your hard work on the image to shine though.

B x

brenda said...

Me again Judith, as I was navigating away the photo of Glenn caught my eye, I have obviously missed him before. What a handsome lad, but there again I am probably biased having a few labs here.

B x

Debs said...

Fabulous card Judith - great colouring tutorial too.
Hope all are well.
Debs xx

cotnob said...

A fabulous card Judith, such beautiful colouring and great colour choices.
Pauline
x

Sarah said...

Fab cArd Judith, your colouring is wonderful (I am a huge fan of the pencils and blending solution) and the layout is just right xx

Sandra Carey said...

Thanks for your comment Judith on my blog your card is beautiful love your colours too Hugs Sandra xx

Sandra Carey said...

Thanks for your comment Judith on my blog your card is beautiful love your colours too Hugs Sandra xx

Tammy said...

Adorable card Judith and fabulous coloring!!
Hugs, Tammy

Carol S. said...

Brilliant cards and great colouring. Hugs, Carol S.xx

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous,love the fab image and details.xxx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

Very cute love the colours and cas design

Whisper said...

Oooo what a super image and boys card, Luv Sam x

Lorraine said...

He looks brilliant Judith and beautifully coloured.
Lorraine x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Awesome colouring Judith and a fantastic finished creation.
Hugs
Cathy
Xxx

Crafty Moone Cards said...

Beautiful card, thanks for joining us @ Cutie Pie's. Sue x

Lisa xx said...

fantastic card! I adore the simplicity of the design - when you have such a gorgeous image to work with, and then its coloured soooo beautifully - what else do you need, right!

thank you for joining in with the Cuties xx

Kat W said...

Your card is fantastic, a really great male design :-) It was fascinating to see how you do your colouring with a combination of pens and pencils; it really does add depth to the image and I am a fan of the vintage styling you gave this cute image. Thanks for sharing your great tutorial :-)
Big hugs, Kat xx