My lovely followers

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Use your dies - you know you want to

Greetings from sunny Florida- again!

At time of writing it is absolutely tipping down with rain - so not so sunny after all lol - but at least it's warm rain and it's not all fun either - we do work here as well!! - my DH is cleaning the carpets and I'm supposed to be checking out the cupboards to see if anything needs replacing - but I got bored with that and decided to blog instead! 

So on to the real reason for my post today -
It's time for another new challenge over at 

Fab'n'Funky Challenges

and because we're really nice over there we've made it very easy for you!

our challenge this week is 

Use your Dies
(your project must include at least one die cut)

I decided to go with a card made with no stamped images at all 
- though I did stamp the sentiment - just for good measure!


My mother asked me to make a card for a friend at church who was 90 - it had to be a card big enough for all of her friends at church to sign.  I thought it would be a good idea to make a lovely elegant white on white die cut card - seemed to me to be very suitable for a lady of 90.  My mother had other ideas!  To her a WOW card was a bit boring - it needed to have colour on it - but she liked the idea of all the die cuts - well there's no accounting for taste!!  To me this card would have been far nicer all white - but you've got to keep the customer satisfied - and apparently the lady concerned and the church congregation loved it!  It had a fold out panel inside for all of her church friends to sign - I think the design worked rather well - it meant that everyone could sign it and then it was stuck in afterwards - I didn't think it was a good idea for all these people to be signing into the card - the ribbon and button would probably have got squashed!!

Anyway....it also had a matching box which I made with my Crafters Companion Ultimate Pro, This is my tip for Toptip Tuesday challenge .... I use my Ultimate Pro all the time for making boxes, scoring card, embossing designs - and trying bows. I also used it for for the bow on this card -It is probably one of my most used pieces of crafting kit and the one I've had longest (well with the exception of my guillotine/cutter - which I couldn't live without!!) So my tip is - the right tools make the job so much easier and quicker too - invest wisely in your tools and they will serve you well.
  
The box was tied at the corners with ribbon when it was all finished - at least the box looked very elegant lol.
I didn't photograph the inside but it was completed to match the front.



This is what I did...

Card - 8x8 white blank
Coloured card - Bazzill basics
Papers LOTV  - Shabby Shack
Dies - Sue Wilson for Creative Expressions from the Austrian collection
Sparkly button - Creative expressions white sparklers
Ribbon - Carnmeal Cottage organza ribbon
Sentiment - Anna Griffin - stamped and embossed with silver embossing powder
Pins - from my stash
Box - made with Crafters Companion Centura pearl card using the Crafters Companion Ultimate Pro

Hope you'll play along with us this week at Fab'n'Funky

Challenges I'm entering with this card

Crafty Sentiments - use die cuts
Party time Tuesdays - Anything goes
Sweetstamps challenge - bordered sentiments
Toptip Tuesday - buttons or bows
Love to scrap challenge - Sentiment in colour other than black and white (silver and white)
Perfectly rustics - use embossing (wet or dry)



See you there!!

Hugs 

Judith xx 





18 comments:

brenda said...

Despite the difference on ideas, I am sure this will go down very well with the lady in question Judith.

Rain or not, I know from experience Florida is still far more appealing that what we have here in the UK at the moment.

B x

Pat K said...

Beautiful card and box Judith. Great idea to have a separate signing sheet as well...you're always thinking. I make my boxes the old fashion way...just might need the CC tool you mention...you enabler you. Rest up for Black Friday..not too much cleaning today okay. hugs, Pat K x

Pat said...

Gorgeous elegant card Judith, beautiful die cuts.

Pat xx

Gibmiss said...

Hi Judith
Fabulous card....
Hope you are well....
Hugs Sylvie xxx

Nataliascraft said...

Gorgeous card, love the dies you used x

Sue B said...

Oh this is gorgeous Judith! I love those awesome die cuts… they look fab with the pretty papers… love the bow embellie too! what a good idea to put the fold out panel for signing… means the card doesn't get squashed! :-)
Hope it's stopped raining there now! dull and miserable here today... never came light!! Lol
Enjoy your holiday!
Big Hugs
Sue B xxx

Alison said...

I love the way you have used those die cuts along with the subtle papers - I'm not surprised the recipient and the church congregation loved it. Just wait for the orders to flow in!! Great idea to have an extra bit for signing so nothing got squashed.
Hugs, Alison xx

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Stunning card Judith. I think it would have looked perfect in both incarnations! White on white sounds divine to me, but at your mum's friends age, perhaps the colour would be easier to admire. Love the box and your 'top tip'. Big hugs, Wends x

Whisper said...

Oooo super, am loving all those dies and a great layout too, luv Sam x

Wendy said...

Absolutely gorgeous Judith, loving those dies!
Hugs
Wendy xx

Brenda said...

Judith, your card is wonderful! I love how the sentiment is highlighted by all the beautiful die cuts, so elegant! Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday!

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Hi Judith a gorgeous card for your Mum's friend. Hope you enjoy your sales! Susan x

Jennifer said...

What an elegant card, Judith, I'm not surprised your Mother's friend loved it.

Hugs,
Jennifer. x

Shuly said...

superb!! a masterpiece of elegance!! such gorgeous dies!! thank you so much for entering Love to Scrap!'s challenge!

Dana Joy said...

Fantastic project. Thanks for playing with us at Party Time Tuesdays!

Kim Butterworth said...

I really like this card, my mum is a tough critic as well. You are right though there is no accounting for taste! Thanks for joining us at Perfectly Rustics.

Aunty Sue said...

lovely card and thanks for sharing with this week at crafty sentiments

Kat W said...

Wow, those die cuts are beautiful and the design is so elegant :-)
Thanks for sharing with us at Top Tip Tuesday!
Hugs, Kat x